Monday, November 28, 2011

Quick E

First post in a new blog, smells like opening up a new book or something.

Don't have much time since I am working on AI homework that is due tonight, but I wanted a place to put all my fleeting thoughts that aren't usually appreciated by general audiences.  We'll see how often I refer to them.

What is on my mind is this quote from "the AI book": "For nondeductive tasks such as learning from experience, outcomes are necessarily dependent on the form of the representations used."  One way of saying this is that what you learn from your life experiences is dependent on how your view your environment.  This chapter is interesting because it talks about how our native language affects our way of thinking.  Certainly other factors influence our thinking and therefore our "representations used", but the one that is particularly useful to point out is that our agency affects the outcomes of our learning from experience.  The "spin" we choose to put on things, so to speak.  This all sounds less profound until you connect the dots with language and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment