Saturday, March 17, 2012

Slippery Truth

It seems like the most valuable truth can be "slippery" or hard to hold on to.  I just left a comment on someone else's Facebook post in response to their solicitation of emotional help and support.  It is kind of surprising to me because I'm not exactly having a flowery, paradisaical time myself of late, but I've been trying to learn and rise above it.  Adversity exists: it always has, and always will.  In fact, it is built into the very fabric of existence, if you will, because every force has an equal and opposite force (e.g., see Newton's Third Law of Motion).  So we don't expect to be free of opposition, we can only expect that it exists.  The nice thing is that we have access to the following so that we can find solutions:


  1. Agency (Will and Caring)
  2. Animation of personal faculties
  3. Stewardship of resources
  4. Relationships to other agents 


Using these tools, we may (if we so choose) do just about any meaningful thing, despite opposing forces.  The trick for me often is knowing and feeling what it is that I want to do, because I have so much going for me and so much in my control that I want to do it all.  I cannot do it all in a limited time-frame--I can only do a certain subset.  So I better pick the subset most valuable to me.

This is so easy to forget, but so important!  May we all learn and internalize this perpetually.  Here's that post:


Hey [name omitted], you should know that all my interactions with you have been positive and you are an good individual! Challenges exist in life but they don't define who we are. Ultimately we decide who we are and what our perspective is, and that decision is reflected in our response to challenges and blessings alike. And if things seem completely out of our control, then we can recognize that and choose to focus on what is in our control. I'm rootin' for you! Praying, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment